SharePoint 2010 – SQL Timeouts

Hi,

If you notice you have many “SQL Timeouts”, in the event logs of your SharePoint 2010 WFE servers, and you are running the SharePoint databases on a mirrored set of SQL servers you may be encountering this problem.

There is a .Net framework article / kb from Microsoft that says this is a known problem with .Net & Mirroring see KB 2605597 which is a hotfix to resolve the problem.

However there is also a further article KB 2600211 that has a section in it that says the KB above is included in the .Net 4.0.3 Update, see note from the web page for the .Net 4.0.3 update.

Don’t let this fool you into thinking that this update contains all of the changes that are in the original KB 2605597, it does not, the original KB has updated DLL’s for .Net 4.0 and earlier versions of .Net back to v2.0, if you apply the .Net 4.0.3 update you only get the .Net System.Data.dll update for v4.0 or later.

AS SharePoint 2010 is built on framework 3.5.1 you need to make sure you install the original KB 2605597 as this contains a new version of the System.Data.dll for framework 2 which is used by .Net v3.5.1 applications.

Hope this saves you some time in installing the rollup KB and not being able to work out why it hasn’t fixed the problem.

A further update to this 22nd Feb 2013, even after applying all the above fixes we still saw occasional SQL timeouts between the SharePoint WFE and the SQL servers, further diagnostic’s from using debugdiag, pointed the problem squarely at the the system.data.dll (Part of .Net Framework 2.0) it suggested we were still suffering from the same problem with the SSPI causing timeouts during the initial connection attempt from WFE to SQL.

Given this Microsoft recommended we deploy a further hotfix to .Net 2.0, KB 2784148 this was released in DEC 2012, and contains amongst other things a further update of the system.data.dll to v2.0.50727.7012.

It appears this latest version of the system.data.dll still hasn’t resolved our timeout issues, next steps time for some BID tracing, to see if that shed’s any more light.

An update on this saga (now August 2013), even though we have been through another two set’s of hotfix’s for our timeout issues, they still haven’t gone away completely. In conjunction with Microsoft they have now identified a SQL server scheduling problem that appears to be affecting SQL 2008 R2 when deployed on HP DLX80 Generation 6 or newer servers, this causes the SQL ring buffer to drop a connection sporadically when running on specific hardware, the infra I have seen this issue on is HP DL380 / DL 580 6th Generation or newer.

I’ll post another update on this subject once Microsoft have worked out how we get around this problem, but if you have SQL timeouts with SharePoint and are using the later generations of HP Servers you could be experiancing the same issue.

Update Microsoft have recently issued a new KB that is suppose to solve (or greatly reduce this problem), seems the underlying problem is with the operating system rather than SQL, so if you are running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows 7 SP1 this could be affecting you.

Please see the article here which gives instructions on how to apply the hotfix.

Content Database Creation Gremlins

Hi,

Recently we had some problems creating new content databases and adding them to SharePoint 2010 SP1.

From looking in the ULS logs I found the following.

10/22/2012 04:55:14.83 PowerShell.exe (0x477C) 0x0FB0 SharePoint Foundation Database 5586 Critical Unknown SQL Exception 2812 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_GetDatabaseInformation'. aef39614-22b1-4cb2-9f8f-bfc624b9e7ba
10/22/2012 04:55:19.00 PowerShell.exe (0x477C) 0x0FB0 SharePoint Foundation Database 5586 Critical Unknown SQL Exception 208 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Invalid object name 'Groups'. aef39614-22b1-4cb2-9f8f-bfc624b9e7ba
10/22/2012 04:55:19.22 PowerShell.exe (0x477C) 0x0FB0 SharePoint Foundation PowerShell 6tf2 High Invalid object name 'Groups'. aef39614-22b1-4cb2-9f8f-bfc624b9e7ba
10/22/2012 04:55:19.23 PowerShell.exe (0x477C) 0x0FB0 SharePoint Foundation PowerShell 91ux High Error Category: InvalidData Target

After examinig our content database we were trying to Mount to sharepoint I noticed something strange, some of the schema objects in the database, specifically the ones mentioned above have been prefixed with the user account we used to run the power shell command, rather than “dbo” hence the errors during from SharePoint when attempting to mount the DB.

We traced this problem down to the fact that for some reason our DBA team had created the new content database with the default schema set to our admin user account rather than “dbo”.

Seem’s there must be a minor bug in the scripts that the Mount command invokes when building the new DB schema, most tables / proc’s views etc.. are created correctly regardless of default schema setting of the containing database, it appears as if a couple of the scripts that provision the schema into a new content database rely on the default schema value for the database and using it as the prefix in the create commands, thus if the default schema isn’t set to “dbo” you get the problem above.

One to look for if you run into this with your environments.

Thanks.